Monday 4 July 2011

Djokovic Proves His Class To Win Wimbledon.

By Sheldan Keay


Following Novak Djokovic's semi-final win over Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, it was announced that he would become the new world number 1. Many people questioned whether this should be the case if the former world number 1 Rafael Nadal was to beat Djokovic in the Wimbledon final. This was not to be the case as Djokovic blew away the Spaniard on his way to his maiden Wimbledon title.
In a final that pitted the two top seeded players together, both men entered the final with two amazing streaks to their name. Nadal had won 20 straight matches at Wimbledon, having not lost a match since losing the 2007 Wimbledon Men's Final to Roger Federer. Djokovic also boasted an impressive record, having entered the contest with 49 wins from 50 matches this year. The majority of people were torn as to who they believed would win the final, stating that it would be a close affair, but it was anything but that. Djokovic came into the match having beaten Nadal in four finals this year, and it looked like it could soon be a fifth, when Djokovic captured the first set, breaking Nadal in the 10th game after the first 9 games had stayed on serve. The first set may have been close, but the second set was far more dominant, as Djokovic smashed 13 winners on his way to securing a one sided 6-1 set. It looked like Nadal was down and out, but it would be foolish to count out the defending champion, and this would be proved to be correct.


Nadal hit back in the third set to get right back into the match, and earned himself a 6-1 set of his own, and many believed that Djokovic may not have the mental toughness to be able to see off the fierce comeback that was being displayed from Nadal. However, Djokovic was able to keep his nerve, and despite Nadal having break point at the start of the set, Djokovic was able to keep his serve and continue to play the sort of tennis that he has been playing all year to secure the set 6-3, and become Wimbledon champion for the first time.

Speaking after the match, Djokovic said "It's really hard to describe this with any words except as the best day of my life, the most special day of my life. This is my favourite tournament, the tournament I always dreamed of winning, the first tournament I ever watched in my life. I think I'm still sleeping, I'm still having my dream. When you're playing the best player in the world, Rafael Nadal, who has won two out of the last three Wimbledon's and he has always been winning the big matches against me in the Grand Slams, I had to be on the top of my game, I had to play my best. I think I played probably my best match on the grass courts ever." Djokovic sealed his victory by kissing the centre court grass, and if anybody had doubts over whether he deserved to be world number 1, those doubts surely will no longer exist.

Follow Sheldan on Twitter: @SheldanKeay